(Answer all the questions)
Section A: Grammar (10 marks)
I. Complete the following dialogue between twoﬁlends with suitable aqua-axioms chosen from those in the brackets. (5 marks)
Grace : Good morning Sandrine. Any problem? You . . . . . . .look happy. (donut don’t, didn't)
Sandrine: Good morning. I have been. . . . . . . . . . a tough time with my father. He thinks he should choose a husband for me. (haven't. having, had)
Grace : What? Not in this age and time! Well, what does your mother say about this?
Sandrine: .. . .. . . . .. . . She is not in support of it, she cannot do anything about it. (But, When, Although) It is the custom in my village for fathers to choose husbands for. . . . . . . . . daughters. (them, his, their)
Grace : . . . . . . . . .you mind if I told my father about it? He works for an organisation that seeks to promote the rights of children. Children have the right to make choices too! (Will, Would, Could)
II. Rewrite the following sentences as instructed in the brackets. (5 marks)
l. “ I am very happy today because l got a job last week”. (reported speech)
My sister said : . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .
2. This is the colleague. He was sanctioned for unjustified absences. (use a relative pronoun)
. . . . . . . . . . . .
3. Smoking cigarettes is not good for students. Alcohol is not good too. (join with neither nor)
. . . . . . . . . .
4. All participants at the conference must observe the COVLD -19 rules. (change to passive voice)
. . . … . . . . . . . .
5. A receptionist welcomes and helps visitors, end answers the phone. (Ask the question)
. .. . . . . . .. .. . ..
Section B: Vocabulary (10 marks)
I Fill in the blanks with the correct expressions chosen from those in the brackets (5 marks)
1. You better go to the nearest . . . . . . and buy an original textbook. (library,bookshop, dormitory)
2. The CQVID-l 9 pandemic has affected the whole world. To protect ourselves from it, World Health, Organisation(WHO) advises that we wash our hands regularly and put on face . . . . . . in places open to the public. (masses. marks. masks)
3. The position of Lamido in the North and chiefs in the West Regions is not by elections. It is . . . . . . . .(inherit, passed over, hereditary)
4. I will like to . . . . .a pair of shoes at the market tomorrow for the birthday party. (pay, buy, price)
5. A new shopping . .. . . .. . . . . has been opened in Douala. You can buy just anything you want from there. (mail, mall, male)
II. Complete the sentences below with the correct expressions chosen from those in the box. There are more words than you will need ( 5 marks)
cheek, deposit, charges, credit cards, Automatic Teller Machine, transfer, loan
l. Cash payments are useful for low-value items as there are no extra . . . . .. . . . . . . . .
2. It is very convenient to withdraw cash from a/an . . . . .. . . . .especially when you are busy.
3. If you own a business, It is not advisable to store large amounts of cash on the premises. It better to . . . . . . . . . .it in the bank to reduce the risk of theft.
4. Many people these days prefer to pay for goods and services by electronic means using their . . . . . . . . . .
5. They . . . . . . . . . . money directly instead of using cash and cheques.
Section C: Reading comprehension (10 marks)
Read the passage below and answer the questions that follow it. Use your own wards as much as possible.
Online Distance Leaning
Online learning is the newest and most popular form of distance education today. Within the past decade it has had a major impact on post-secondary education and the trend is increasing. Online learning is education that takes place over interact. It is often referred to as “e-learning" among other terms. However, online learning is just one type of ‘distance learning“, the umbrella term for any learning that takes place across distance and not in a traditional classroom. Distance learning has a long history and there are several types available today: correspondence courses (conducted through regular mail with little interaction), CD-ROM courses (where the student interacts with static computer content). Tele courses (where content is delivered via radio or television broadcast), Online learning (internet-based courses offered synchronously and/or asynchronously), and Mobile beaming: (by means of devices such as cellular phones and digital audio players).
Online distance learning is an instructional system which connects learners with educational resources. Students work on their own at home, at work, or at school and communicate with faculty and other students via e-mail, electronic forums, bulletin boards, instant messaging and other forms of computer-based communication. There are both advantages and disadvantages to online distance learning.
There are many benefits in using online distance learning environments. Online education is available all the time and anywhere. However, there are drawbacks for some learners. The online learner only has the written text and no other face to face cues. This may confuse the learner and cause misunderstanding. While distance learning allows for openness, it is also cumbersome because it is done by e-mail messages and writing and therefore may take more time than face-to-face learning.
Why online distance learning and why now? Online distance learning meets the needs of an ever-increasing population of students who cannot or prefer not to participate in traditional classroom setting. These learners include those unable to attend traditional classes due to the COVlD-l9 pandemic, who cannot find a particular class at a chosen institution, who live in remote locations, who work full-time and can only study at or after work, and those who simply prefer to learn independently.
The minimum requirement for students to participate in an online course is access to a computer, the inter-net and the motivation to succeed in a non-traditional classroom. Online courses provide an excellent method of course delivery unbound by time or location, allowing for accessibility to instruction at anytime from anywhere. Learners find the online environment a convenient way to ﬁt education into their busy lives. The ability to access a course from any computer with internet access, 24 hours a day, seven days a week is tremendous for many students.
(Called from http://www.sloan.c.org / ressources / index:asp)
1) What is online distance learning? (1 mark)
2) Find four types of distance learning methods in the text. (2 marks)
3) From where can learners follow an online lesson? (1 mark)
4) l-low beneﬁcial is online distance learning to students? (2 marks)
5) What are the necessary requirements to participate in an online distance learning? (2 marks)
6) Do you think that high-quality learning can take place without interacting with your teacher face-to-face? Why? (2 marks)
Section D: Composition (10 marks)
Write a composition of between 200-250 words an ONE of the following topics.
1. You have noticed an increase in the number of teenage pregnancies in your village. Many of these young girls cannot continue schooling because their parents think they should marry and do odd jobs. As a community youth leader, you have been asked, on the occasion of the celebration of the Youth Day, to address the parents of these youths on the causes of teenage pregnancies and what can be done to reduce or stop this phenomenon. Also encourage them with valid reasons not to stop educating pregnant teenage daughters.
2. You was involved in a ﬁght in school and have been suspended from classes by the school Disciplinary Council. Write a letter of apology to your father who has heard about the incident and is very angry. You may explain the cause of the fight and also make a serious commitment never to ﬁght again. Your name is Adrienne, and you are a student of GBHS Likundo.
3. Many people are of the opinion that modern technology is doing more harmm to youths than good. Write an essay in which you examine both the positive and negative sides of modem technology.Give concrete examples to support your point of view.